Monday, November 7, 2011

Paying it Forward

This week we began to feel like we are definitely in Bandon by the Sea.  On P-day, after all the chores were done, we went for a walk on several beaches in search of the perfect shell for a little parable on the Atonement we want to leave with those we visit and it was cold and windy. Brrrr!  Welcome to winter in Bandon.  Alas, there was no perfect shell to be found on the beaches of Bandon!  Luckily our perfect shell needed to be a perfectly imperfect shell.  Elder Wels found just the right one, which was good because by then I was frozen.  I literally ran back to the car!  Whoever invented heated car seats get a big hug from me!!

Tuesday we got a call in the afternoon from a member named Greg Muzzy who lives in Ontario, California.  His non-member mother and step-father live here in Bandon.  He told us his step-father had just passed away that morning and his mother was alone with no other family in town.  He was very much worried about her and would we go check on her to see if she was doing okay.  Instantly memories of needing help for my own mother flashed through my mind.  My father was in ICU at the Fallbrook hospital in Southern California.  My mother was on oxygen 24/7 and was legally blind because of Macular Degeneration so she could not drive.  Nurses at the hospital could not give her any information over the phone.  And, I lived in Oregon.  I wanted to go down to help her but she wanted me to wait until she thought she would really need me.  So knowing how great and loving LDS members can be, I called my Bishop to get the name and phone number of the Bishop in Fallbrook.  I gave him a call explaining her situation and he said he would call some members that lived near my Mom. I called my Mom back and was telling her that someone would call or come by the next day when her doorbell rang and a sweet couple who lived down the street was there to help her now.  “Pay it forward!”   We immediately went to find his mother.  We found the most adorable little lady being cared for by two of her sweet neighbors.  Mom seemed to be doing fine though I think the events of the day had not completely engulfed her yet.  She was certainly a character and a real hoot to visit.  When I told her we were from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that her loving and worried son had asked us to check on her, she immediately said, “Oh, I love your church!”  She then turned to her neighbors and told them how the Church had cared for her son in his time of need.  She was so grateful that we would come to check on her.  We had a lovely visit and were able to report back to her son that she was doing fine and was well cared for.  Greg arrived in town on Wednesday and by Thursday the funeral had been planned for Monday.  Yes, one of the great strengths of LDS people is that we are there for one another in times of need.   Elder Wels was asked to give a talk about the Plan of Salvation at the funeral.  Luckily, I was just asked to give the opening prayer.  I can do that.  Lee is now busy working on his talk.  I give my sweet companion big high fives for so quickly and sweetly agreeing to give this talk.  I know it takes him way out of his comfort zone.

I went into the RV park office to pay our November rent and met a new lady substituting in the office by the name of Ida Cluff.  We had a sweet little chat.  She introduced me to her beloved dog, copper and told me she is a recent widow.  As I was about to go out the door she suddenly asked me what Church I was affiliated with.  I told her I attended the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  She said, “I thought so, you look like a Mormon”.  What does a Mormon look like?  Turns out she was once a Mormon but she has not gone to Church in a long time because she gave 24/7 care to her cancer stricken husband.  We got interrupted by a phone call and a gentlemen walking in the door.   I think Ida and I are going to become friends and I am going to do what I can to bring her back into the fold.  Perhaps she is the one we were sent here to find.

We had more fun get-acquainted visits with active and non-active members this week.  We went back to visit with Brian Vorwaller, the chain saw artist because we saw that his wife and kids were down at his studio.  We enjoyed our visit and talked more about having his eight year old daughter baptized.  He now has a web site up and running.  Check him out at artistbrianvorwaller.com.  Good family.

Friday morning we helped Elwin and Julie Bissell move into their new place in town.  And then in the afternoon Todd, Amy and Mary arrived for a visit!  We went for a fun walk with them on the docks near Old Town and got to watch people crabbing.  Those little critters are ugly!  Some were having great success and some were getting skunked!  We ended up at La Fiesta for a Mexican dinner and then went back to the Inn at Face Rock to watch Mary swim in their indoor pool.  She is a little fish!  She can dog paddle clear across the pool the long way! 


Saturday we went to Cranberry Sweets (see I said it would be my very favorite store) and toured a little of Old Town.  Then it was off to the beach down at the Jetty.  Not the most beautiful day.  It spit rain off and on all day.  But Mary loves the beach.  She is very wary of the waves.  She has been knocked off her feet several times and Oregon waves are not warm!  These are definitely not your Southern California beaches!  But you can have fun building castles in the sand.  We also went to the Bandon Lighthouse to walk a bit on that beach.  Then it was nap time for everyone!  In the evening they came to our trailer for dinner and a little early birthday party for Mary.  We can’t believe that she is turning 4 years old on the 9th.  We so enjoyed their visit.  Come back soon!!!

It was our first Fast and Testimony Sunday in the Bandon branch.  In a small branch I thought there would be a lot of quiet time when no one was getting up to bear a testimony.  Thankfully today I was wrong.  We heard some great testimonies and the hour just flew by!  Yes, Elder Wels and I both bore our testimonies.  Our little branch needed to know how much we appreciated their loving welcome and how we, just like them, love the Lord.  We are most grateful for the blessings of belonging to His true Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment